Let’s face it, grilled cheese is one of those classic American staples. Fun fact: the sandwich in the USA originated in the Great Depression period, due to the ingredients being so inexpensive. But now, cheap or expensive, it’s all about the cheesy goodness of what goes between those two slices of crispy, buttery bread. At Toasted Barrel located at 150 Montgomery Street you can get your grilled cheese just about any way you would like. You’ll find yourself talking like Bubba of Forest Gump, “They got cheesy grilled cheese, turkey grilled cheese, bacon grilled cheese, Korean beef grilled cheese and that’s not even all.” You get the picture, if a cheesy sandwich and a flight of bourbon are what’s up for a week day lunch or dinner then Toasted Barrel is your place. Here are 8 things you should know about Toasted Barrel.
1. Their grilled cheese sandwiches are made with Savannah local Auspicious Baking Co. naturally leavened organic flour from Carolina ground country white bread.
2. They also have the perfect companion to your grilled cheese which is San Marzano tomato soup with 5 Spice Croutons.
3. Bourbon flights can be customized and they have 65+ Bourbons to choose from.
4. Savannah favorite Kieanie of The Riff Savannah is part of the Toasted team. Scout suggestion would be to grab a table, order the Crispy Goat which is Kieanie’s favorite grilled cheese and listen to the latest episode of The Riff podcast while eating lunch.
5. Toasted offers Happy Hour from Tuesday to Friday 5pm-7pm with $5 Wells, $4 local drafts and $1 off house wine plus they have a daily special of $2 off a designated toast. Sangria Saturday offers $6 per glass or $24 per pitcher.
6. Live music is offered on Friday nights from 7pm-10pm
7. Scout’s favorite side at Toasted was the Baked Beet salad served with goat cheese, toasted walnuts and apples for $8
8. They have a few tables outside for pup-friendly dining.