Blueberry picking is a perfect summer activity for the whole family: the bushes are low, the berries pop off the plants easily, and your family can literally pick hundreds without breaking the bank or your back hauling them home. Lucky for us, Morning Belle Farms grows delicious organic blueberries that are just a hop, skip and a jump away in Woodbine, GA (about 1 hour drive). If you are looking to get some fresh air with the family and make some safe, socially distanced memories then Scout suggests you start packing up the car now.
Check out owner Reese Haley’s Facebook video about the safety procedures that are in place, such as, honor system Venmo payment, clean buckets and extended hours. Morning Belle Farms will only be open for another week of blueberry picking, don’t miss your chance.
If you have never been blueberry picking before, here are a few tip to make the most of your adventure:
- Call ahead (912-222-4801) to make sure berries are available, farmers often don’t get a chance to update social media
- Early in the morning is the best time as the weather is cooler for optimal picking
- Wear a hat, sunscreen and organic bug spray
- Pack snacks
- If you’re wise, you’ll stay in one spot, taking the time to really look under leaves or at the tops and bottoms of bushes before moving on – you’ll conserve energy and be able to pick longer.
- Wear clothing you don’t mind getting stained and consider long-sleeved shirts and pants, especially if you’ll be picking berries on thorny canes. Choose footwear that is comfortable for standing and walking and ones that you don’t mind getting dirty
They also offer some inspiration on their website…Morning Belle Farms Seal of Approval recipes. And since blueberries are nutrient rich, blueberry cobbler is healthy, right?